India is a country of hundreds of cultures, religions, and languages, which makes it a great example of unity in diversity. It has a vast range of demographics.
Sandy deserts to deep forests, rocky mountains to beautiful coastlines, Snow-capped hills to lush green plains, whatever is on your mind, India tends to offer.
Even if you want to enhance your spiritual experience, India is the place to be.
Keep reading to know about the best places to visit in India in 2021.
Here’s a list of the top 10 best places to visit in India, tell me how many have you visited?
1. New Delhi
It is not on the list just because it is the capital city of India but Delhi actually has a lot to offer. When it comes to history and culture, Delhi tops the list on any given day.
Delhi can be divided into 2 parts i.e Old Delhi and New Delhi.
Old Delhi is full of historic infrastructure including Jama Masjid, Red fort, etc. Hence, it is a must-visit area. The Chandni Chowk market in Old Delhi is a heaven for shopping sprees.
New Delhi has both historic and new architecture like India Gate, Qutub Minar, and the famous Lotus temple which resembles Sydney’s Opera House to some extent.
Lastly, there are countless other sites of spiritual, cultural, and historic importance.
You can also enjoy a vast variety of food to satisfy your tastebuds. So, this is the place where travelers spend most of their time in Delhi.
Attractions: Though there are heaps but the main things to explore in Delhi are:
India Gate, Humayun’s Tomb, Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Akshardham Temple, and Lotus Temple. If you are a cricket game lover, you might also want to go to the famous Firoz Shah Kotla Stadium.
Best Time To Visit: October To March
How To Reach
- Air connectivity: The nearest airport is Indira Gandhi International Airport
- Rail connectivity: There are 4 major railway junctions – Puraani Dilli, New Delhi, Hazrat Nizamuddin, and Anand Vihar
- Road connectivity: The major bus terminals in Delhi are Kashmere Gate ISBT, Sarai Kale Khan ISBT, Anand Vihar ISBT, Mandi House, and Majnu Ka Tila
Kashmir is home to breathtaking, pristine natural beauty. While tourists visit beauties like Leh, Ladakh, and Gulmarg valley, they also go to risky cities like Kargil.
The Shikara (houseboats) on Dal Lake is also a must-do. There is so much natural beauty in Kashmir that we can easily say that Kashmir is one of the best places to visit in India.
Attractions: Zoji-La Pass, Thajiwas Glacier, Vishansar Lake, Nilagrad River, Baltal Valley, Krishnasar Lake.
Best time to visit: May to October
How to reach
- Air connectivity: The nearest airport is in Srinagar (70 km)
- Rail connectivity: The nearest railway station is Jammu Tawi Railway Station in Jammu
- Road connectivity You can either drive or board a bus from Jammu and Srinagar to Sonmarg
3. The Andaman Islands
Are you scared of water? Never went swimming in the ocean? It’s time to get over that fear and experience one of the best places to visit in India.
With White sand, clear blue water, this is an inhouse Seychelles India has.
Along with diverse marine life and coral reefs, Andaman is also a perfect destination to indulge in water sports. Consequently, Andaman is one of the best places to visit in India.
Attractions: Cellular Jail National Memorial, Radhanagar Beach, Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex in Port Blair.
Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Chidiya Tapu, and watersports like scuba diving, snorkeling, & parasailing.
Best time to visit: November to mid-May
How to reach
- Air connectivity: Vir Savarkar Airport in Port Blair
- Water connectivity: Ships run between Haddo Wharf Port in Port Blair and cities of Chennai, Kolkata, and Visakhapatnam
Hampi is a world heritage site known for its architectural beauty. Because of a number of historical temples and caves, history comes alive in Hampi. Moreover, you can also experience live music with a background of beautifully lit ancient ruins in the annual festival of Hampi Utsav.
Attractions: Virupaksha Temple, Vijaya Vittala Temple, Matanga Hill, Hemakuta Hill Temple, Hazara Rama Temple, and Achyutaraya Temple.
Best time to visit: October to February
How to reach
- Air connectivity: Hubli Airport (144 km away) and Belgaum Airport (215 km away) are two major domestic airports near Hampi.
- Rail connectivity: Hospet Junction, the nearest railway station to Hampi, is about 13 km away.
- Road connectivity: Hampi is one of the weekend getaways from Bangalore and is well connected to Hospet, Hassan, Mysore, and other nearby cities by road.
With a variety of beaches, Goa is the best place to visit in India if you love sand and the sea. In addition, Goa also has a variety of cathedrals that are a key tourist attraction in the city.
Although we’ve already discussed the most beautiful beaches of India in the Andaman Islands. Goa must also be experienced because it is not only a great beach destination but also the party capital of India.
Attractions: Beaches like Vagator, Calangute, Anjuna, Colva, & Benaulim, Fort Aguada, Church of Mae De Deus, Basilica of Bom Jesus.
Temple of Bodgeshwar, Dudhsagar Waterfalls, St Xavier’s Church, Grand Island (for watersports).
Deltin Royale Casino and clubs like Cafe Mambos, Titos, LPK (Love Passion Karma), SinQ, & Club Cubana.
Best time to visit: November to February
How to reach
- Air connectivity: Dabolim International Airport is the major airport in Goa.
- Rail connectivity: Madgaon Railway Station and Thivim Railway Station are the main railway stations in Goa.
- Road connectivity: Margao Bus Terminal, Kadamba Bus Terminal, and Mapusa Bus Terminal are the best-connected bus terminals in Goa.
- Water connectivity: You can take a ferry from Mumbai to Panaji and easily reach Goa.
Rajasthan is a state of India in the northern region. It is home to the Thar desert which is world’s 17th largest desert, and 9th largest hot subtropical desert. Rich ancient Rajputana culture and grand places make it the best place to visit in India. In brief, this state is a complete package of beauty, culture, and food.
Attractions: Trust me there are heaps. But, the major ones are:
- Jaisalmer Fort, Bada Bagh, Folklore Museum, Sam Sand Dunes, and Desert Cultural Centre in Jaisalmer.
- Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary, Nakki Lake, Dilwara Temple, Toad Rock, Guru Shikhar, Achalgarh Village, and Guru Shikhar in Mount Abu.
- Amer Fort, Jal Mahal, and Hawa Mahal in Jaipur.
- Lake Pichola and City Palace in Udaipur
Best time to visit: October to February
How to reach:
- Air connectivity: Jodhpur Airport, Udaipur airport, Jaipur airport, Ahmedabad airport, and a few more
- Rail connectivity: Major cities like Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Jaipur have their own railway station which is indeed connected widely across North India, with cities like Jaipur and Delhi.
- Road connectivity: Major cities are very well connected internally and to other major cities across the country.
Madurai is an energetic and ancient city situated on the Vaigai River. This is also known as the Lotus City because it is built in the shape of a lotus. In addition, Madurai is also the cultural capital of the state of Tamil Nadu.
Attractions: Meenakshi temple, Saint Mary’s Cathedral, Abodes of Lord Murugan
Best Time To Visit: October to March
How To Reach:
- Air connectivity: The airport is just 10km from the main city.
- Rail connectivity: Madurai railway station.
- Road connectivity: Bus services run from and between most of the major cities in South India. Bus journeys are also a feasible & convenient option to reach Madurai.
Popularly known as the Scotland of the east, Meghalaya is a city of refreshing green, mighty mountains, and dark adventurous caves. Moreover, the state name translates to Abode of Clouds. Therefore, Meghalaya is one of the best places to visit in India.
Attractions: Despite many, the main ones are Nohkalikai Falls, Elephant Falls, Umiam Lake, Seven Sisters Falls, Shillong View Point, Spread Eagle Falls, Wah Umngot River, Nohwet Living Root Bridge, Kynrem falls, Khasi Hills, Khoh Ramhah or Motrop (Giant conical rock), and Garo Hills
Best time to visit: March to July
How to reach
- Air connectivity: Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport at Guwahati in Assam (118 km from Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya) is the nearest international airport. Umroi Airport at Umroi, 30 km from Shillong, is the nearest domestic airport.
- Rail connectivity: Mendipathar railway station is located in Resubelpara Municipal Board Jurisdiction of Meghalaya at a distance of 225 km from Shillong. However, the Guwahati Junction in Assam is the nearest railhead with good connectivity to other cities of India.
Kerala is all about nature. It is popular for it’s rich wildlife, lush green forests and backwaters. Thus, Kerala is also called God’s own country.
- TATA Tea Museum, Meesapulimala, Blossom Park, Pothamedu ViewPoint, Attukal Waterfalls, Cheeyappara Waterfalls, Kundala Lake, Mattupetty Dam, Anamudi, and Eravikulam National Park
- Alappuzha Beach, Krishnapuram Palace, Kumarakom bird sanctuary, Marari Beach, Revi Karunakaran Museum, Punnamada Lake, Pathiramanal, and Sri Krishna Temple in Ambalappuzha
- Bekal Fort, Ananthapura Temple, Valiyaparamba Backwaters, Bekal Beach, Mallikarjuna Temple, Chandragiri Fort, Kappil Beach, Nileswaram, Bekal Hole Aqua Park, and Pallikere Beach
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Kumarakom Backwaters, Aruvikkuzhi waterfall, Thirunakkara Mahadeva Temple, Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom Beach, and Pathiramanal Island
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Mangla Devi Temple, Abraham’s Spice Garden, Murikkady, Kadathanadan Kalari Centre, Chellarkovil, Kumily, and Deepa World Spice & Ayurvedic Garden
- Meenmutty Waterfalls, Chembra Peak, 9 Hairpin Curves, Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, Ekkadal Caves, Bathery Jain Temple, Neelimala View Point, and Pookot Lake
- Lighthouse Beach, Samudra Beach, Thiruvallam Parasurama Temple, Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium, Halcyon Castle, Akkulam Lake, Jama Masjid, Vellayani Lake, Karamana River, and Rock Cut Caves
- Varkala Beach, Janardhan Temple, Sivagiri Muth, Kappil Lake, Papanasam Beach, Janardan Swami Temple, Vishnu Temple, Anjengo Fort, Sarkara Devi Temple, Varkala Tunnel, and Kaduvayil Thangal Dargah
- Mananchira, Conolly Canal, Hilite Mall, Kallayi, Tali Temple, Kappad Beach, Kozhikode Beach, Thusharagiri Waterfalls, Sargaalaya, Payyoli Beach, Kozhippara Falls, and Matri Dei Cathedral
Best time to visit: November to January and June to August
How to reach
- Air connectivity: Kerala has three main airports – Calicut International Airport, Cochin International Airport, and Trivandrum International Airport.
- Rail connectivity: Thiruvananthapuram Central railway station, Ernakulam Junction railway station, and Kollam Junction railway station are three major rail junctions of Kerala.
Last but not the least, Ladakh is on almost everyone’s bucket list among the best places to visit in India. This is the favorite spot among the Bike riding enthusiasts in India. You can experience how it feels to be in the middle of nowhere. Every turn on the road is full of adventures and experiences.
Attractions: Though there are many, but the main ones are Zanskar Valley, Pangong Tso Lake, Khardung-La Pass, Spituk Gompa, and Hemis National Park
Best time to visit: April to mid-May and mid-September to mid-October
How to reach
- Air connectivity: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport in Leh .
- Rail connectivity: Jammu Tawi Railway Station (700 km from Ladakh) is the nearest rail junction. From here, one can hire a cab or board a JKSRTC bus to Ladakh.
- Road connectivity: Travelers can go on a bike/jeep ride. However, Bike trips from Delhi, Chandigarh, and Manali are the most popular.
Though we’ve tried to make a list of top 10, this is totally subjective to one’s liking and dislikings. If you’ve ever visited India, we’re sure you would agree that India has hundreds of phenomenal places which cannot be summed up in such a short article.
Please let us know if the article was helpful. Your feedbacks are what keeps us motivated. If you know of a place that should be on our top 10 list, do let us know below.